24 July 2011

Lament for the young Norwegians slain on Friday

Altar of Oslo Domkirke (Oslo Lutheran Cathedral)

Above is the altar of Oslo Domkirke where a special service was held this morning for all who were killed last Friday in Norway. The vast majority of the more than 90 slain were young people.

Here is a video of Grex Vocalis, a Norwegian choir under the direction of Carl Høgset, singing When David Heard that Absalom was Slain, music by Thomas Weelkes (1573-1623).



When David heard that Absalom was slain he went up into his chamber over the gate and wept, and thus he said; My son, my son, O Absalom my son, would God I had died for thee!

Based on 2 Samuel 18:33, Authorized Version (King James Bible): And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!

No comments: